Safety at Home
Onions are toxic to dogs
The toxicity is dose dependent, so the bigger the animal, the more onion need be consumed to cause a toxicity.
Garlic is safe for your dog when used in moderation and can help with a myriad of things such as gas, flea prevention and it has natural antibiotic properties.
Sugarless Candies May be Poisonous for Dogs… Sugarless candies can be toxic to pets. Candies containing xylitol have been recognized by the National Animal Poison Control Center to be a risk to pets.
Chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine that causes severe heart problems and is toxic to almost all animals. There is more theobromine in baking chocolate (about 400 mg per ounce) than there is in milk chocolate (about 45 mg per ounce), and the lethal dose for a dog is about 45 mg per pound of body weight.
Mushrooms are dangerous and can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting diarrhea, convulsions, coma, death
Grapes / Raisins cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy
Keep a gallon of cool bottled water in the car. At rest breaks, check to see if your dog needs some. If it’s panting, it probably does. Don’t give too much or you’ll have to stop more often.
If you’re taking wet or cooked food for your pet, keep it refrigerated. Take a small ice chest with plenty of “blue ice” to keep it cold in the car.
Keep your dog’s collar on at all times. If it gets away, the tags are what will help you find it.
At rest stops, keep your dog on a leash. With trucks, other cars and other pets, it’s just a safe thing to do.
Some dogs don’t travel well. Have a homeopathic remedy for travel sickness on hand in case yours has problems.
Make sure your dog is “buckled up”--a good travel harness lets you put a seatbelt or shoulder harness through it. Or secure the dog in a travel crate before starting out.
Never leave your dog in the car on hot days. Temperatures can skyrocket inside, even if it’s only mildly warm outside, and your dog will be in trouble fast.
Safety in the Garden
Whether bringing your pet to a bed and breakfast or resort that has its own garden (or just beginning your own spring
gardening), be careful when you’re letting your pet "smell the roses".
Always watch for groundskeepers spraying pesticides or other materials. Let your pets on to the treated area only after sprays have dried -- or even the next day, suggested the Professional Lawn Care Association of America, based in
Beyond that, even some common plants are toxic to most animals, according to the American Animal Hospital Association, a Denver-based professional organization for veterinarians. The organization suggests keeping your pets away from several plants, including:
Fatal to birds, this plant's leaves, seeds, stems and skin are considered a cardiovascular toxin. It also can cause kidney or organ failure.
A showy flower, whether striped or solid white. Yet, its bulb is considered a gastrointestinal and neurological toxin.
* Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale)
These pretty, petite flowers are considered very poisonous, not to mention a cardiovascular and gastrointestinal toxin.
A lovely bush filled with flowers. Yet, it's a cardiovascular, gastrointestinal and neurological toxin for animals.
A pretty flower to people, but potentially fatal to pets. Can cause kidney or organ failure.
* Castor bean
A shrub-like plant with clustered seed pods, this African native is potentially fatal if chewed.
* Foxglove (Digitalis)
One of its nicknames -- Dead Men's Bells -- is a clue that this bell-shaped, tubular flower can be fatal.
A hardy, showy shade-loving flower, the plant contains cyanide.
Usually found in the woods, this flowering plant can cause kidney or organ failure.
Its clusters of tiny flowers attract butterflies, yet the plant can cause liver failure in pets.
* Lily of the valley
Known for sweet-smelling flowers, yet potentially fatal to pets.
Its pastel flowers make it a popular bush, yet it's very poisonous and can be fatal to pets.
Big, leafy, green and showy, this plant can cause kidney or organ failure in animals.
The famous Christmas plant can bring on dermatitis in animals. It's also a gastrointestinal toxin.
* Rhubarb leaves
Can cause kidney or organ failure in animals.
* Rosary Pea
A slender vine with pea-shaped pods, this plant can be fatal if chewed.
* Scheffelera (
This leafy green -- and often indoor -- plant can cause kidney or organ failure.
A tree or ornamental plant with needle-like foliage, it is fatal to most animals.